When it comes to sourcing the most reliable and effective flat flexible cables for electrical installations, Hitaltech has you covered. Our flexible interconnect range offers the ultimate vibration-resistant conductivity with fast and secure assemblies guaranteed. Read on to find out everything you’ll ever need to know about flexible interconnect cables from Hitaltech. We’ll be covering what they are, how they work, and what applications can benefit from using flexible interconnect cables.
What are flexible interconnect cables?
Flexible interconnect is Hitaltech’s dedicated range of flat flexible cables and connectors that are designed for applications regularly subjected to vibrations. Our range of flexible interconnect products are the cables of choice when connecting printed circuit boards (PCBs) and achieving highly flexible electrical connections.
At Hitaltech, we can offer you a comprehensive range of jumper systems, including FIX jumpers, ZIF/LIF jumpers, and high-temperature (HT) jumpers for continuous operating temperatures above +150°C.
We also supply SMD systems (in 0.5mm and 0.93mm pitches) for connecting sandwiched PCBs, power jumpers for 12 amp applications, and Flex systems for applications in the automotive, medical, telecommunications, and aerospace industries.
How a printed circuit board is made
Given flexible interconnect cables work directly with PCBs, it would be a good idea to understand how a printed circuit board is made.
The process of creating a PCB involves the following steps:
- Design – The first step in creating a PCB is the design. The design of the PCB is typically done through the use of computer-aided technology.
- Laser printing – Laser printers create negative photo films of the circuit board and components. Each layer of the PCB has its own film sheet.
- Preparing – The base material of a PCB is usually laminate as it works well with copper. This is then passed through decontamination and prepared with a layer of photo-resist film before being exposed to UV light. It’s then washed with an alkaline solution.
- Etching – The etching process removes unwanted copper from the board. The PCB is then exposed to another chemical to leave a shiny finish.
- Drilling – Precise holes are drilled through the PCB to prepare the components for attachment once complete.
- Plating – The outer layer of the board houses copper connections. To make them suitable for soldering, the surface is plated with gold, nickel or tin.
- Testing – A technician then carries out several tests to check if the PCB works correctly and if everything in the preparation and build stage has been successful.
- Assembly – Once the PCB has cleared thorough testing, it is assembled and is then ready to be used.
What are flexible interconnects used for?
Typical applications for flexible interconnect cables include industrial control systems, energy metering, automotive electronics, and white goods to name but a few. Hitaltech flexible interconnect cables can be configured to your exact requirements in terms of the pitch, insulation length and number of connections.
How do flexible interconnect cables work?
Hitaltech’s flexible interconnect cables offer a simple but effective connection solution. They comprise a flat and flexible plastic film base with multiple metallic conductors bonded to one surface.
Our extensive selection of highly flexible cables can either be soldered at each end directly onto the printed circuit board for a permanent connection or they can be supplied with a connector on either end as a more flexible alternative.
What are the benefits of Hitaltech flexible interconnect cables?
Here are the main advantages of our range of flexible interconnect cables:
- Next evolutionary step for ribbon cables
- Require much less space compared to round cables
- Deliver improved EMI/RFI suppression
- Eliminate wire coupling issues
- Greatly improve cable management
What type of materials are used in our flexible interconnect range?
The Hitaltech range of flexible interconnect cables is available from two to 32 poles. They also come in a wide range of specialised insulation materials that are designed to withstand reflow soldering temperatures.
Our insulation methods include polyester, polyimide, PEN and Nomex, which we pair with copper conductors for high-performance conductivity.
Buy flexible interconnect cables from Hitaltech
Hitaltech has been creating high-quality flexible interconnect technologies and enclosures for electronic and electrical applications for over 35 years. If you are looking for professional connecting technologies and enclosures, we have everything from wire-to-board connectors to hand-held enclosures.
If you would like to find out more about our products, including our connecting technologies and enclosures, please contact us today at +44 (0)1253 899910 or email email@example.com. The Hitaltech team is always on hand to answer any questions you may have.